Salmon and Hemp Seed Burgers
Salmon and Hemp seed burgers are perfect for a weekend night, and they're also great to serve when you have guests. Whether you're having kids around or it's just the grown-ups, burgers are one of those dishes that please everyone. But those greasy fast food burgers are not exactly good for you, are they? So, let's create a healthier version with our very own salmon and hemp seed burgers recipe! With a few other healthy ingredients thrown, this is a flavorful and refreshing new alternative to the usual burgers. Even if you have guests that don't really like fish, this is the ultimate filling meal that's sure to change their minds.
Our two main ingredients for this recipe, salmon and hemp seed, are healthy enough on their own. Salmon is a great source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, B-vitamins, potassium, and antioxidants. Hemp seeds are also a great source of protein and fatty acids, along with vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, and iron. But this recipe also includes lemons, parsley, dill, baby cos lettuce, olive oil, and avocados -- all to give that extra nutritious punch.
So, are you ready for a hearty and healthy meal? Let's whip up some salmon and hemp seed burgers!
Makes: 3-4 salmon and hemp seed burgers
- 3-4 salmon fillets (about 350 g), cooked
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 100 g dried breadcrumbs
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 4 burger buns
- 2 baby cos lettuces, sliced in half
- Lemon wedges
- 2 avocados
- 3 tbsp Pesto
How to Make Salmon and Hemp Seed Burgers
- Combine the hemp seeds, mashed potato, English mustard, chopped parsley, chopped dill, and lemon zest into a mixture. Add a bit of seasoning to taste.
- Gently blend the salmon into the mixture. Take a bit of care so as not to break up the salmon too much. Then, shape into 4 large fish cakes. These will be your healthy patties for the salmon burgers!
- In 3 shallow dishes, separately place the egg, breadcrumbs, and flour. First, dip each fishcake into the flour. After dusting excess flour, dip it in the egg, and then in breadcrumbs. Our salmon patties are now ready for frying.
- Use a large, non-stick frying pan to heat the olive oil. On medium-low heat, fry the salmon cakes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Once they're a deep golden brown color, take them out of the heat.
- Now that our salmon is ready, it's time to assemble the burgers. Layer pesto, avocado, lettuce, and the salmon patties in fresh buns and put on a plate. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and enjoy!
Note: If you prefer a lower-carb alternative, you can do away with the burger buns and just serve with avocado, pesto, and lettuce.