How to make an easy lemon hemp pesto sauce
Lemon Hemp Pesto
Don't you just love pesto? In traditional Italian cooking, the pesto sauce is primarily made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts, and grated Parmesan cheese then served over pasta and maybe fish or meat. But for this recipe, we're making it with hemp seeds -- my absolute favorite!
Hemp seeds give this pesto sauce a hearty factor and a distinct flavor. Thanks to it, we're getting an almost creamy consistency. We also used hemp seed oil instead of the traditional olive oil. But of course, the flavor of basil and spinach make this sauce shine. Just hearing the name "basil" makes me think of summer gardens lush with flowers and delicious herbs. Ah, perfection.
I know you love a twist so I also threw in a splash of fresh lemon juice in there to give it that tangy taste. If you're vegan or gluten-free, we didn't add any cheese to this hemp seed pesto so it's safe for you to make. I bet this vegan pesto is gonna be a favorite of yours once you try it so without further ado, let's get to cooking this super easy recipe!
Lemon Hemp Pesto
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes 2 cups of pesto
- 2 cups of fresh basil
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 cup of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seed oil
- Salt and pepper (I use Himalayan pink salt)
- ¼ – ½ cup of water or veggie broth to bring to desired consistency
Note: If you want less tang, use less lemon juice. You can also make more of this by doubling or tripling the quantities in this recipe. So if you want 4 cups of pesto, double all the ingredients you used. You can also add other veggies like kale. Please store the excess pesto in the freezer for later use. As for oil, you need just a splash of it but I do recommend a high-quality hemp oil to give it more flavor.
- Use a food processor or high-speed blender to mix all the ingredients.
- Gradually add the water or veggie broth until you achieve the consistency you want.
- Blend well.
- Adjust the seasonings to your desired taste.
- Serve with pasta, fish, or meat, and enjoy a great meal!