Keep it simple. 7 top tips for controlling oily skin.
1. Cleanse – every morning and night use a gentle facial cleanser to clean your face to remove dirt and build up. Make sure that your cleanser is all natural and chemical free. Cleanse gently for at least 60 seconds! The less irritation you have on your skin, the better you are able to control the oil production in your face.
2. Use A Mask – Natural facial masks are a great addition to your skin care routine. Using a base of Bentonite clay will remove toxins from your skin giving you a wonderful natural glow. Clay masks will help to tighten pores and remove blackheads. Honey masques will not only remove excess oil, they will also hydrate your skin because honey acts as a humectant. It will bring in any missing moisture from your skin.
3. Cut the Stress – whatever you have going on in your life that affects your mental health will always have an impact on your skin as well. When you are stressed, your skin reacts by producing more oil glands. So the less stress, the less oil your skin will produce. Managing the stress in your life is vital to maintaining your natural glowing skin.
4. Use a Toner – a rose water toner is something that you put on your skin after you have gently cleansed it. The natural toner helps to balance the acidity and alkaline levels of your skin, otherwise known as the pH of your skin.
5. Always Moisturize – Moisture is your skin's best friend. Try using a non-comedogenic oil like hemp seed oil instead of thick creams. It can be used for all skin types, it works especially well for those with oily acne prone skin. It has a comedogenic rating of 0 to help prevent break outs from clogged pores.
6. Exfoliate – using natural and sensitive products like a glycolic acid or a hemp + sugar facial scrub, you should exfoliate at least once a week to remove dead skin cells. This help to balance your oil production and shrink your pores to a more normal size, ultimately reducing the amount of oil in your skin. However, too much exfoliation can do more harm than good. Pay attention to your skin.
7. Chemicals to Stay away From: Some of the most common toxins include:
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives
- Harmful sulfates (SLS and SLES)
Herbal Alchemist & Certified Wellness Coach
As a certified wellness coach and founder of Oh It’s Natural. PJ has healed her own horrible problem acne breakouts, and she helps thousands of adults with acne to get healthy clear glowing skin naturally, through an easy healthy diet, lifestyle improvements by using plant-based products.