You might be wondering, “What is a Blini and why haven’t I heard of it before?” Well, you’re in for quite a treat because blinis are one of the most excitingly diverse classic dishes in the world. And we’re going to create it right at your kitchen.
But what is a blini? Well, it’s basically a pancake that’s traditionally made from oats, wheat, buckwheat, barley or rye. It can be served with a wide variety of fillings or toppings, including sour cream, fruit, mushrooms, milk, salmon, and caviar. You can get really creative with blinis and that’s what makes this dish shine.
Before we dive into our quick 3-ingredient hemp blini recipe, let’s first explore a little bit of history as to where the blini came from. The blini is a well-loved dish that originated from Russia, and it’s actually a deeply significant part of their culture. The story says that during the Middle Ages, a traveler in Russia wanted to heat up some oat jelly over a fire. He got distracted somehow and forgot about his task, letting the oat jelly fry up. Then, ta-da! The first blini was born – what a happy accident!
After that, the blini then came on to be the star of the Russian Maslenitsa festival, or “Butter Week”. Maslenitsa celebrates the coming of spring as the season bids goodbye to the cold winter. It’s a festival that honored the sun, and the blini, being round and golden, is the perfect symbol for the celebrations. People cooked blinis all week long as it was said to bring in a fruitful harvest.
All throughout a person’s life, blinis are an ever-present companion. Aside from being served as a staple dish at home, blini is also present in a person’s birth and death. When a woman has delivered a child, she’s given a blini to bring luck to the baby’s life. And during funerals, blinis are generously served as a sign of goodwill.
Today, blinis are enjoyed in many parts of the world. These petite pancakes are served in restaurants, homes, and can also be found in your local supermarket. From being part of traditions up to the current times, blinis remain a well-loved dish enjoyed by many.
Now that you know a bit about this food’s history, let’s move on to our simple 3-ingredient blini recipe. Blini are great for starters or desserts, and since we’re all about healthy options, we’re adding a little twist to our blini with hemp!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/4 cup hemp milk
- 1/4 cup hemp protein
- 1 medium egg
For cooking: Coconut oil
How to Make Hemp Blini
- Mix the milk, protein, and egg into a bowl. Make sure to stir well until everything is incorporated.
- Heat your pan over medium heat, then lightly grease with the coconut oil.
- Pour two tablespoons of the mixture to the pan to make one blini. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Wait about 2-3 minutes or until bubbles appear. Flip the blini with a spatula to cook the other side. Wait about 2 minutes.
- Your blinis are ready! Top with your fave toppings and serve.
- For avocado and hemp seed: Use sliced avocado, hemp seeds, and hemp seed oil to top. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper.
- For salmon: Use smoked salmon, red onions, freshly chopped dill, capers, and coconut yogurt. Drizzle with a little hemp seed oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Remember! When it comes to blini, you can be as creative as you want with toppings and fillings. Feel free to experiment to find your favorite blini combination!